Firefighters team up to limit damage to North Manchester home

(Gary Nieter, Times-Union)

Working together, several fire departments saved a North Manchester home and garage from excessive damage.

The fire occurred at a home on CR 600 E.

The residents are pastors at the church next to their home and were having a service Saturday night. When someone stepped out of the service they noticed smoke coming from the garage, and that’s how the fire was reported, according to Sidney Fire Chief Nathan Rhoades.

He said, “We believe the fire started at the fireplace/stove in the garage where the exhaust pipe goes through the ceiling.” He said the investigation is still pending, but there’s nothing suspicious about the fire.

Damage was estimated at $30,000 to $40,000.

“We saved the house with minor smoke damage and there was no water damage in the house,” Rhoades said.

Damage in the garage was limited mostly to the attic and two walls.

“It was a great effort by the Sidney Fire Department, North Manchester Fire Department, Chester Township, Richland Township and Silver Lake Fire Department. It was just a great effort. It was just a tremendous, tremendous save,” he said.

The roof line actually collapsed during the fire. Rhoades said the wind was blowing from east to west, the same way the roof line lays, so to knock the fire out before it got to the house was an “awesome job.”

He said he was “extremely proud” of his department. Thirty to 45 firefighters were on scene for almost four hours.

No injuries were reported.

Family of the residents took them in.