North Webster area firefighters work two blazes in ten hours

 Firefighters were able to quickly knock down Wednesday evening's garage fire south of North Webster. Photo by Gary Nieter, Times-Union.
By David Slone

NORTH WEBSTER — The Tippecanoe Township Fire Territory — along with three other fire departments assisting — was kept busy Wednesday night through Thursday morning responding to two fires.

Assistant Chief Dave Rensberger said they received a call for a garage fire at 46 EMS W31A Lane, North Webster, at 5:56 p.m. Wednesday. County records indicate the home is owned by Arthur L. and Lynn K. Hewitt Joint Revocable Living Trust, Saint James City, Fla.

From what could be determined, Rensberger said they believe the fire started in the garage. The fire did not get into the home, but there was some outside damage to the house near the garage. The fire remains under investigation.

Turkey Creek Fire Territory was called for a full assist, with additional manpower and tankers provided by Pierceton and Leesburg. There were at least 20 to 25 firefighters on scene, and the men were on scene for approximately 2-1/2 hours.

The homeowners were home at the time of the fire, but there were no injuries.
Rensberger did not have a damage estimate but said the garage was “probably” a total loss.

At 4:19 a.m. Thursday, Tippecanoe Township Fire Territory received a call for a trailer fire at 2 EMS B6B Lane, Leesburg. County records indicate the home is owned by Rebecca S. and Gilbert C. Springer.

Rensberger said the cause of the fire and where it started was still under investigation as of Thursday afternoon.

A homeowner was home at the time of the fire, but there were no injuries reported. The American Red Cross was called to assist but the woman refused.

Firefighters remained on scene until 5:30 a.m. Thursday. Before leaving, Rensberger said, they checked for and saw no thermal activity and were confident the fire had been put out. He said sometimes you just can’t find it.

At 8:26 a.m., the fire department was called back out to the home and it was smoking pretty heavily. Again, the fire departments from Syracuse, Pierceton and Leesburg assisted. They were on scene until 10:30 or 11 a.m., Rensberger estimated.

No one was hurt in the fire or the rekindle of the fire.