One Injured During House Fire

Initial pics of the Market Street Fire. Picture: Pierceton PD via Facebook

PIERCETON – One person was injured during a house fire in Pierceton Saturday.

The Pierceton Fire Department got the call about the fully-engulfed house fire at 218 E. Market St., Pierceton, at 9:18 p.m. and were on site within two or three minutes, Fire Chief Gordon Baker said.

While the fire is still under investigation, Baker said the department believes it is an accidental fire, possibly related to smoking.

“We will confirm that once we finish the investigation,” he said.

The house was a total loss and the homeowner, whose name was not released at press time Sunday night, had cuts and abrasions and was taken to the hospital, Baker said.

Baker estimated the damage to the home to be at $75,000, a total loss.

Putting out the fire took several hours with the Pierceton Fire Department getting back to its station at 2:43 a.m. Sunday, he said.

Pierceton was assisted at the scene by the North Webster, Winona Lake, Sidney and Larwill fire departments, as well as Lutheran EMS, Pierceton Police Department and the American Red Cross.

The Larwill Fire Department was brought in for additional manpower during the wrap-up, while the other fire departments and EMS were there for assistance from the onset, Baker said.

The Red Cross set up canteen services and assisted in homeowner support services.