Purdue Shooter Cody Cousins Found Dead In Jail Cell


The Warsaw man who killed a fellow Purdue University student in a campus classroom this past January has been found dead of an apparent suicide at the Indiana State Prison in Michigan City. Kirk Freeman, defense attorney for Cody Cousins, was notified of Cousins' death on Wednesday morning.</span>

Cousins was sentenced to 65 years in prison after pleading guilty to Boldt’s murder. Cousins said “I killed Andrew Boldt because I wanted to.”

Tippecanoe County Prosecutor Pat Harrington said that Cousins was envious of Boldt. At the time, Harrington said “in this case, he was just truly envious.

Andrew Boldt, as Professor David Meyer testified, was well-liked. “He was the most popular TA, teaching assistant, at Purdue University. He was everything that the defendant wasn’t.”

Cousins’ defense had sought a guilty but mentally ill sentence. Mental health experts testified at the sentencing that Cousins had schizophrenia bipolar disorder and anxiety disorder, but that he was not experiencing symptoms when he killed Boldt on Jan. 21.

Michigan City Prison Press Release- The Indiana State Prison (ISP) Superintendent Ron Neal reports that an offender at the facility died as a result of an apparent suicide. Offender Cody Cousins, DOC 252400 was found unresponsive in his single cell in our Orientation Unit during a routine security check at 8:55 p.m. October 28, 2014. A medical emergency was called when it was determined the offender had self-inflicted lacerations to his neck and both arms. Staff attempted CPR to no avail. An ambulance was called, and the offender was pronounced dead at approximately 9:20 p.m. An autopsy is being scheduled.

Offender Cousins age 24, was serving a 65-year sentence for murder from Tippecanoe County. His estimated released date was July 22, 2046. He was sentenced for the death of Drew Boldt, a student at Purdue University on January 21, 2014. He arrived at the Indiana State Prison on October 23, 2014 and was on a unit for new arrivals.

The incident is currently under investigation by the facility’s Internal Affairs Office and the LaPorte County Coroner’s Office. The offender’s body was transported to Franciscan St. Anthony’s Hospital in Michigan City, Indiana awaiting for an autopsy to be performed.