Syracuse Residents Demand Jury Trial For Oakwood Noise

Syracuse residents filed a noise complaint May 27 against Oakwood Resort and are demanding a jury trial.
The plaintiffs say in the complaint they enjoyed the benefits of residing on Lake Wawasee prior to summer 2013 and during the summer they use the outdoors frequently for dining and conversation, according to court documents. They also said a large part of the draw of this location is the lake and that it has a no-wake policy after dark. 
In 2013, Oakwood, 702 E. Lake View Road, Syracuse, opened under new ownership. That summer, it held a concert series with outdoor bands every Thursday through Sunday evening, and the plaintiffs said the music traveled directly across the lake to their property, the documents state. They said the music would play as late as 2 a.m. Due to the music, the residents said they experienced a significant loss of enjoyment, loss of outdoor conversation and inability to sleep, and are concerned if they ever want to sell their property, it will be difficult.
The residents said there was no noticeable noise reduction in 2014 despite their numerous complaints and taking the noise issue to the resort directly, attending Syracuse Town Council meeting and speaking with law enforcement. In 2014, the resort continued playing music until midnight on the weekends and 11 p.m. throughout the week. 
This year, the music has started as early as 4 p.m., according to the documents. Many of the residents have avoided inviting company over due to the noise, believe the music is inappropriate for their grandchildren, prevents them from enjoying their property in the summer and they feel forced to stay indoors, according to the documents.
The resort has a full schedule of bands this season and it stated it anticipates the volume of music will be lower, according to court documents.
Syracuse Police Chief Tony Ciriello said the police department works security at the resort and they monitor everything to make sure it is in compliance.
A motion has been filed for a preliminary injunction at 1:30 p.m. for an anticipated three hour period.

(Story By The Times Union)