Tree hits utility pole, which falls on house, sparks fire


WARSAW — A series of events led to a fire in a house at 9058 W. CR 700S, south of Palestine Lake Wednesday afternoon.

The Mentone Fire Department was called out at 3:35 p.m., according to Fire Chief Mike Yazel.

He said the wind blew a tree down. The tree fell on a Kosciusko REMC pole, which snapped and fell on the house. A spark from the power then set the house on fire.

Not a lot of damage resulted, however, as firefighters were able to contain the fire to the summer kitchen in the little house between two breezeways.

“No one was hurt or injured, but we did rescue a dog from the smoke-filled building,” Yazel said.