UK police: ‘a number of fatalities’ at Ariana Grande concert

UPDATE (4 a.m.): 

Greater Manchester Police say 22 people died in an attack on concert-goers at an Ariana Grande performance in northern England.

Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said Tuesday the attacker used an explosive device. Police are trying to determine if the attacker acted alone or had support.

Police say some 400 officers were deployed overnight to help with the investigation.

Officials say children were among the victims of Monday’s explosion.

UPDATE (8:20 p.m.): 

Police say 19 people confirmed dead in Manchester Arena explosion. Manchester Arena blast “being treated as a terrorist incident” until police know otherwise.

British Transport Police said an explosion occurred in the foyer of Manchester Arena at 10:30 p.m., around the time the concert finished. Others reported hearing two blasts, a discrepancy that could not immediately be reconciled. Fox News reports the cause of the blasts was not immediately confirmed, but bomb disposal units were reportedly at the scene.

Spokesman Joseph Carozza said Grande, who was performing at the arena as part of her “Dangerous Woman” world tour, was “okay” and added, “we are further investigating what happened.”

Witnesses described panic as concertgoers rushed to get out of the arena. Video from inside the arena showed people screaming as they made their way out amid a sea of pink balloons. Some on social media initially suggested that some of the balloons had burst, making a loud noise like a bomb.


Police says there are “a number of fatalities” after reports of an explosion at an Ariana Grande concert in northern England.

Police advised the public to avoid the area around the Manchester Arena Monday night.

There were no immediate details of what happened during the concert by the American singer.

Video from inside the arena showed concertgoers screaming as they made their way out amid a sea of pink balloons.

Fox News Shepard Smith LIVE VIDEO coverage: