Farm Animals Killed In Mentone Fire

Several farm animals died Tuesday in an outbuilding fire in Mentone. A passerby called in the fire to 911 at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday at 7998 W. Ind. 25, Mentone. The building that is used to store hay and animals is owned by Archie and Samantha Newsome, according to county records. Two sheep, three goats, two calves, a pig and two cats stored in the north end of the building died in the fire.Twenty chickens stored in the south side of the building survived, according to Mike Yazel, Mentone Fire Chief. Mentone Fire Department responded with Burket Fire Department assisting. It took 15 minutes to put out the fire. Yazel said the owner told him the sheep and goats had offspring Sunday and they climbed up to get to the heat lamp and knocked it down, causing the fire. Yazel said Mentone Fire Department received a call at 3:30 Tuesday that the fire had rekindled, but it was just steam coming off the building, Yazel said. The fire is ruled accidental and estimated damage is $15,000.

(Story By The Times Union)