Trash fire leads to barn blaze

NAPPANEE – A trash fire burned down a barn Saturday afternoon, according to Nappanee Fire Chief Don Lehman.

Nappanee fire responded to the blaze at 8110 W. Hepton Road at about 6;45 p.m.  The barn was destroyed by the fire.

There were no injuries or livestock lost, according to Lehman. Lehman did not provide a damage estimate.

Firefighters fought the blaze until 6:30 p.m. as the wind blew the flames across Ind. 19 to some harvested corn fields.

The barn was owned by Ernest and Mary Hochstetler, of Baltimore Avenue, Nappanee, according to Kosciusko County property records.

Four Acres, Etna Green, Wakarusa, Bremen and Atwood Fire Departments and American Red Cross responded to the scene.