Pierceton Fire Department says barn fire caused by wet hay

Wet hay that is believed to have spontaneously sparked the fire that destroyed a barn south of Warsaw early Saturday morning, according to Pierceton Fire Chief Gordon Baker.

Pierceton firefighters and other departments responded to the fire at the 4000 block of E. 600S at 1:16 a.m. The fire was under control in about an hour.

Fire departments from Warsaw, Winona Lake, Claypool, Silver Lake, Sydney, as well as others from Wabash and Whitley counties assisted at the scene. The American Red Cross and Lutheran EMS also were on scene.

The barn contained hay and farm equipment. Baker estimated the damage was about $250,000. One firefighter was treated for overexertion, but no others injuries were reported.